Sunday, December 11, 2005

La grande visite

This was my third weekend at home and my grandma's sisters came to visit me. There was some discussion as to how I should be calling them. My grandma says they are all my grandmas also. My Mom says they are my great-aunts.

Everybody wanted to carry me. Auntie Tessie wouldn't let me go and here I am completely prostrate and sound asleep across her tummy while Grandma and Auntie Varge look on.

I woke up wet and hungry. Time to boss some people around once again! Funny what I could make them do with just a little crying.

Question: what do you get when you have two nurses to change your diaper?

Answer: A lot of fussing!

Jojo: Tessie, make sure you lift and clean under his thing!

Tessie: Ate Jo, I've been a nurse for 27 years and I should know about these things!

Jojo: Hurry up, the baby is getting cold!

Tessie: Don't hurry me, I have to do my sterile technique!

And on and on and on they went. For my part, I thought I could make the situation more interesting. In the few moments between the time Auntie Tess pulled the wet diaper from under me and the time she could slide a new one, I decided I wasn't quite finished peeing yet. Whoo! Mama! It squirted past my forehead! I wet my shirt. A drop landed on the back of my hand. As is my habit when I'm hungry, and before they could stop me, I started sucking on my fist. Boy! that was some funny tasting beer!

Tia Monica feeds me from a bottle while Auntie Jojo fixes my booties and cousin Jose and Auntie Tessie crowd above me.

Now, for the easy part, after I've been changed and fed, Grandpa gets to make me burp. Tia Monica had to make us wear these funny hats!

Cousin Jose wasn't allowed to visit me at the hospital and he had long wanted to meet me. At last! Here, he finally got the chance to carry me.

Jose really tried but he seemd to have forgotten the lyrics to Jingle Bells.


But then, he soon tired of carrying me and lulling me to sleep. He went back to making Christmas cookies with Tia Monica.

And to really make the day memorable for me, this was the day the scab on my dried up umbilical cord fell off. Oh the good old days - when I was a fetus!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home